The parish of Weston Rhyn is situated in the extreme north west of the
Borough of Oswestry. Part of the western boundary is also the County
boundary, and follows the line of Offa’s Dyke. In the north, the
river Ceiriog marks the boundary between England and Wales. The
magical scenery on both these boundaries is unique and neither English
nor Welsh in character. The southern boundary follows the line of the
Morlas Brook, again through some lovely countryside. It is hard to
imagine that this brook once powered four paper and corn mills in the
Wern area of the Parish.
Weston Rhyn is recorded as Westune in the Doomsday book. “Tun” or
“ton” means a settlement or hamlet, “ rhyn” means a hill or mount.
Originally the townships of Weston Rhyn and Bron-y-garth were in the
Parish of St. Martins. In 1870 they were formed into a separate
ecclesiastical district known as “the Lodge” ( the inn still bears
it’s name), and then in 1898 into the civil parish of Weston Rhyn.
The present Parish comprises Weston Rhyn village and the
settlements of Chirk Bank, Bronygarth, the Wern, Pontfaen and Rhoswiel.
There are 1912 people on the electoral roll. 180 pupils attend the
local primary school which has pre-school and Sure Start facilities.
Moreton Hall, an independent girls’ school, is also in the Parish.
Most of the major housing developments, both local authority and
private, have taken place over the last 50 years more than doubling
the number of houses in the Parish. In addition, an industrial estate
has recently been built close to the A5 road with custom built
The shops in the Parish are now concentrated in the centre of
Weston Rhyn village. There is a post office, a general store / paper
shop, a grocery and hardware store, a hairdressers, a fish and chip
shop and an ironing service shop. There are also six public houses in
There are four places of worship, St. John’s Anglican Church, the
Welsh Chapel, the Quinta Evangelical Chapel, and the Chirk Bank
Methodist Chapel. In addition, in the 1980’s the Quinta Christian
centre was opened on the site of the Quinta Hall. The Centre runs
courses for Christians from all over the country and many thousands of
people visit the centre every year.
The Village Hall known as the Institute, is the centre for many
activities in the village including a twice weekly doctor’s surgery.
Organisations such as the W.I., the Good Companions, Gardener’s Club,
Dancing Club meet there on a regular basis. Adjacent to the Hall is
a bowling green restored to its full glory by the members over the
last few years. A free monthly newsletter, the Wren, keeps all
parishioners informed of events and other news in the Parish.
If you have any historical information or old photos of Weston Rhyn please contact us -